Out with the old, In with the new!

Image
  I apologize for being away for a while. You know about that desired change I wrote about. Well, a lot has happened during the past few months. It all started in February when a best friend called me about a job opportunity as a day porter paying $24 an hour with a corporate office company. Instead of working a scattered schedule and fighting to get more hours, I now work full-time with full benefits and a steady schedule. All I do is make coffee for scheduled conferences and all the break rooms, along with keeping track of the supplies. I work Monday through Friday 7-4 and having that as part of my routine feels great. The people that I work with are great too. Everyone talks to me and not to me. I also have the freedom to work on whatever task I need to without people asking me what I am doing unless they are being social with me. No one is pestering me. Also, my boss is great and easy to talk to. I no longer feel uneasy whenever my boss calls upon me. When she does it's mainly

Breaking Down the Spectrum

 

I want to talk more about the spectrum itself. In previous posts, I mentioned that autism is on a spectrum and that not everyone on the spectrum is the same as others. I found visual references that may help because just talking about it without visual references can become confusing mainly because there are multiple ways of looking at it.


Before I begin I just want to say that I found these diagrams through google by searching “Autistic Spectrum”. There are many more if you are seeking more of an understanding.




https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Autistic-spectrum-disorders-adapted-from-17_fig1_343958142

This first one is the very first type of diagram that I was introduced to. When I was in middle school and high school the only way others described the spectrum to me is by describing, it as being on different levels, such as the diagram above. This makes me think of the different levels as different amounts. Higher functioning people with autism have less autism than lower functioning and lower functioning has more autism. That is what others have explained to me about what autism is, or at least a major part of it. After doing my own research and observations, I found that there are in fact different levels of autism, as well as different levels of the symptoms that can potentially come with autism as well. Just because there are 3 different levels of autism doesn't mean that you are strictly on one of them. One can have some aspects of level 1 and other aspects of level 2, or 2 and 3.



https://carmenbpingree.com/blog/what-is-autism-spectrum-disorder/

Here is a chart showing some of the different possible conditions and symptoms that can come with autism such as Sensory.

For a lot of people on the spectrum, our senses are amplified. When I say sensory I mean the human senses such as seeing, hearing, touch, and smell can be amplified to different degrees.

For me, it's hearing. I've always been sensitive to sound. Growing up I always had to hold my ears closed while watching a movie in the movie theater. Today I no longer have to do so thankfully my hearing sensitivity has deluded a little, but even then loud noises can still throw me off, such as fire alarms, and gunshots in an indoor shooting range. For some, it's just the one that affects them the most but for others it can be any number of senses or multiple, making it difficult to function within the real world outside of their home, room, and comfort zone. As human beings our senses are sensitive enough, just imagine them being amplified 10 times the average norm. Every sound, smell, or touch. Some people on the spectrum have to wear sunglasses, ear protection, or whatever else there is to provide sensory protection just to be able to function or get by in society.

Just think about a whistle. That sound on average already has a high pitch but is just loud enough to grab your attention. Now imagine that sounds like a shriek. Sounding as if you are standing right next to the whistle that is blowing, except you are not. Or you watching TV and it's as if you are sitting right next to the base speaker, except you are on the couch away from the speaker.

Another is touch. For some it can be the simplest of touches, such as a tap of the shoulder or touching an object, for others it's feeling confined by a hug. A hug is one of those things where your find relief from stress and more importantly connect with others. In simpler terms, it's supposed to be one of the best things in the world. Unfortunately for some especially on the spectrum can find it confining and too stimulating. For me, it was very much like this for a long time. I always gave sideways hugs and whenever I gave full bear hugs it was because I was pulled into them. There were times that I enjoyed hugs but then other times it was too stimulating. I have gotten better at hugging over the years. A huge part of this is because I went Gluten and Cow dairy free. After a week or so of staying away from gluten and dairy, it was as if a fog had lifted and I woke up one-morning craving social interaction and couldn't get enough hugs. This actually had become my main way of greeting my friends in school because I couldn't get enough of them.

Eye contact, everybody loves eye contact. I don't know why. I personally find it overwhelming. “Look me in the Eye.” Have you heard this phrase before? I find this demand very annoying but for some odd reason, people find it difficult to believe that you are listening to what they are saying without having to look them in the eye. Needy Bastards! Due to this being required by so many people during social interaction, I had to force myself to learn how to make eye contact and become comfortable with it. Besides, who's going to teach me?  For people on the spectrum when looking someone in the eye they find themselves staring into an endless tunnel losing all focus and train of thought. I guess that gives the phrase “losing oneself in your eyes” a whole new meaning. It's like looking through those toy scopes that you turn on one end and see multi-colored patterns shifting and changing. I mean everyone's eyes have multiple colors even when they are promptly one color they can still have the smallest specks of other colors just around the pupal. The combination of colors reaching your pupal creates a tunnel effect. It also has been said that “your eyes are a tunnel to your soul”. Because of this, I find it odd that people desire eye contact so much. Is it not easier to say “look at me face to face”? Or do you just desire that I look into your soul in hopes to find what you are trying to tell me without saying it out loud? I'm sorry to break it to you, but people on the spectrum are very direct, so if you don't say it, we are most likely not going to get it. I'm autistic and not a psychic.

Perseverative Thinking is another. I had to look this one up because I've never seen the term Perseverative Thinking before. Soon as I did I found that one of the things that I go through myself. Here is the definition from understood.org: Perseveration is when someone “gets stuck” on a topic or an idea. You may have heard the term in regard to autism, but it can affect others, too. People who perseverate often say the same thing or behave in the same way over and over again. But they can get stuck on their emotions, actions, and thoughts, too. https://www.understood.org/en/articles/perseveration-adhd-and-learning-differences




https://i.gifer.com/Cmxf.gif

I am not exactly Sheldon from Big Bang obsessing over the fact he forgot his flash drive but that is exactly what perseverative thinking is and I have defiantly been through this on multiple occasions.

For several years the only thing that you needed to know about me was that I am into horses and

JK Rowling's Harry Potter series, because that is what I was stuck on. Or sometimes I will get stuck on a goal. My parents use to tell me to not walk around with blinders, and at the time I didn't quite understand what they meant, plus I'm also quite stubborn. I do understand now but I still, feel that if I don't allow myself to get stuck on an idea or goal then I will lose track of it and myself. Perseverative Thinking is one of those things that one has to learn how to control, if even possible. At least that is what I have found in my own personal experience. I had to learn to break away from certain topics such as equestrian sports. Throughout my childhood, I wanted my own horse farm and become a professional hunter jumper, and then riding instructor. Unfortunately, that was not likely for me. For one the whole idea scared the crap out of my mom because I have hydrocephalus. She was always afraid to let me play sports due to this. I did eventually take riding lessons but it was more focused on being therapeutic than sportsmanship. I also competed in the Special Olympics through middle school and high school from 2007-2012 after I graduated High school. Unfortunately, it was not enough. My parents had to talk me out of it. Eventually, I settled on the idea of becoming a vet technician, (basically a nurse for animals). Decided against that after I stayed with my aunt on her farm and one of the animals got bit by a snake what the vet had to do to flush out the wound triggered some really bad memories for me. Due to this, I dropped the whole idea, finding myself clueless about what I wanted to do. Either way, it took me a long time to not just figure out what I want in life but also to control it. Another thing I always wanted to do is live in Germany and spend time with my family over there and attend University but that fell through because somehow I went from being a vet tech to wanting to work in film and there weren't any Universities that tough this near were my family lived. All of the Unies (universities) that taught this subject are located up north in Berlin, with no room and board, and my family lives an hour's drive west from the French border. That would be a 3-hour train ride to commute. What I am trying to say is, try not to get stuck on things too much or at least try to be more selective on what you get stuck on because you may just miss out on something that you may really enjoy.



As you can see there is a lot to go over on the spectrum. In this post alone I've only got into a third of the second chart and this blog post is already 6 pages long. But don't fret I'll continue with this in my next post. I want to go over as much as possible but due to it being so much information, I'm going to be talking about this in multiple posts. Please don't overwhelm yourself with all of the symptoms from every chart. Because one individual does not necessarily have every single one. Once you learn about everything that you need to, focus on yourself and or your child or whoever you have on the spectrum, and get to know that person and their struggles. This will take time. It took me and my parents a long time to figure out how autism affects me and what to do about it. Also, there is a really good book called Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison. I quite enjoyed it. I've also attached more charts that I plan on going over here at the bottom.




https://embrace-autism.com/mapping-intensity-and-prevalence-of-emotions/









https://www.twinkl.co.uk/teaching-wiki/autistic-spectrum-condition-asc






https://www.lanc.org.uk/related-conditions/autistic-spectrum-difficulties-asd-adhd/





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Mirror

Change

My Dear Freind