Out with the old, In with the new!

Image
  I apologize for being away for a while. You know about that desired change I wrote about. Well, a lot has happened during the past few months. It all started in February when a best friend called me about a job opportunity as a day porter paying $24 an hour with a corporate office company. Instead of working a scattered schedule and fighting to get more hours, I now work full-time with full benefits and a steady schedule. All I do is make coffee for scheduled conferences and all the break rooms, along with keeping track of the supplies. I work Monday through Friday 7-4 and having that as part of my routine feels great. The people that I work with are great too. Everyone talks to me and not to me. I also have the freedom to work on whatever task I need to without people asking me what I am doing unless they are being social with me. No one is pestering me. Also, my boss is great and easy to talk to. I no longer feel uneasy whenever my boss calls upon me. When she does it's mainly

Finding One Self Through Conflicts and Goals Part 1

 


Happy New Year


I want to say it's that time of the year again, but that's kind of a double entendre considering it's a new year. Point is that around this time every year, people reflect on what they went through and have this urge to throw it away just to start new. I wish it would be that easy. My question is why are we so eager to change? Do we really need to be so hard on ourselves by setting a goal that may never happen because they don't fall into our routine and then, later on, beating ourselves up about it? Or maybe you made choices that changed your life and you find yourself reflecting on why did I do that. Why are people so determined to change when we don't like change in the first place?

Many people on the spectrum love to keep a routine. Change that routine and all hell breaks loose for us and everything falls apart. For a very long time, that is how it was for me. For 12 long years, I had a routine that was set up for me by my parents and the school system. I wake up in the morning eat breakfast go to school, take the same classes at the same set time, eat lunch at a set time then go home watch tv then do homework.

Then there is a sudden change that no one prepares you for and yet expects you to be prepared for it, and that is Life after graduation. Your daily routine drops right underneath you just like that. For the first time ever I had no goals. It took me a few years of soul-searching to find what I wanted to do with my life. Eventually, I set my heart on becoming a film director and began to attend university. After many years of battling through classes, I graduated with a bachelors. Then the following year 2021 began working as a Production Assistant and worked for the entire year on three different projects. I was living the dream!

For an entire year, I found myself surrounded by professionals that have years of experience working on projects such as Black Panther, John Wick, and Avengers. Samuel Jackson was one of the main actors and producers who led the first project I worked on. My first major gig as a PA was on a project starring Samuel Jackson. It was the coolest thing in the world, but it was also the strangest thing in the world. I show up on my first day, and they tell me, “do not talk to Mr. Jackson, do not disturb him in any way.” My wanting to be professional was not even considered to be disruptive to Mr. Jackson thought that it was strange to be told to not at least be great to someone that I was working with. In my previous job at Office Max, I had the freedom to shake hands with the district Manager while working as a cashier. Due to these new rules and the Autism part of me didn't know how to behave which made me feel even more awkward than I already am. I did however wave to him and his team whenever I saw them passing by me on his golf cart. It didn't take me long to august to my new job and figure out who I was allowed to talk to and who I was not. I mainly just stuck to my responsibilities and the people in my department who half the time didn't want to be bothered with one another. The whole covid team did not work well together. There were only a few of us that got along and even then it was hard to tell who to hang out with. One minute I'll have a nice conversation with someone and then the next they are crawling up my butt, just because I walking into the supply room to get supplies or to sit down to eat lunch. Let's just say I was relieved when the project was finally over. Way too much-unwanted drama.

Two weeks later I got another gig as a Locations PA. Then two days after I had another lined up. I worked as an office PA then later on as a set PA the office still claimed me as an office PA even though I was scheduled as a Set PA. During my time in the office, my main responsibilities were keeping up with snack food and lunches. There was no specific way that they provided me with to go about doing anything. They just expected me to already know how and just do it. At first, I waited until 11 am to start ordering lunches. It took me an hour or two to finally get everyone's orders. Then as I am making the call to the restaurant I get notified that my boss expects lunch at 1 pm when the time is already 12:50 and the restaurant tells me it's going to take an hour before it's ready. Afterward, I came up with the method to take everyone's orders through email sending it out the day before, then ordering the food the next morning as soon as the restaurants opened. The office coordinator who was also my boss told me I did a great job with the orders then a few minutes after the UPM my other boss calls out and says that they want someone else to do the orders while the new PA was starting his first day. It felt like an odd game of tug of war with the two of my bosses, except the coordinator seemed more supportive and the UPM didn't care long as she got what she wanted when she wanted to counteract what the coordinator tells me. For example, the coordinator sends me to deliver papers to sign and water to a location where the UPM was working and told me to just bring this and nothing else and that we don't have the budget for anything extra. The UPM then texts me I want Gatorade, bananas, and chips, that they were an absolute must. So I find myself going to the store spending money that they couldn't afford to spend because both of my bosses were not on the same page. There was also the whole ordeal with the snacks. They gave me a budget of $700 a week but then send me out to get $1000 worth of food twice a week because the carpenters would come in and take the snacks in the bulk. I eventually found a way to hide and stock the snacks so that they didn't disappear so quickly. I tried to stick with the budget that they provided me but they made it impossible.


Part two will be coming to you in February

                                                               Thank you,

                                                                                    Lena Ezell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Mirror

Change

My Dear Freind