Out with the old, In with the new!

Image
  I apologize for being away for a while. You know about that desired change I wrote about. Well, a lot has happened during the past few months. It all started in February when a best friend called me about a job opportunity as a day porter paying $24 an hour with a corporate office company. Instead of working a scattered schedule and fighting to get more hours, I now work full-time with full benefits and a steady schedule. All I do is make coffee for scheduled conferences and all the break rooms, along with keeping track of the supplies. I work Monday through Friday 7-4 and having that as part of my routine feels great. The people that I work with are great too. Everyone talks to me and not to me. I also have the freedom to work on whatever task I need to without people asking me what I am doing unless they are being social with me. No one is pestering me. Also, my boss is great and easy to talk to. I no longer feel uneasy whenever my boss calls upon me. When she does it's mainly

Living in My Own World

 

    I ask that you keep an open mind. This is one of those things that is difficult for me to explain and open up to others. It's one of those things where I've tried to explain and get nothing but confused looks or reactions from family and friends, or accused of being simply crazy from others. Originally I wanted to do a podcast but then reminded myself how much of a difficult time I have verbally explaining things to people whether it's because it just sounds bizarre, and someone will ridicule me for it simply because I'm very literal and they take it the wrong way or don't understand and their response doesn't make sense and throws me off. For example, I was in Atlanta one night working on a film project, and down the road across the street I noticed what looked like a woman walking down the sidewalk and then out of no were stops and just starts dancing. It was so random to me that I had to tell someone about it. So I told one of my coworkers wandering what he thought of it and all that he gave me was “good for you”. How on earth was that good for me? Not understanding his response I just walked away feeling confused now more about my coworker's response rather than what I saw. Later I came to the realization that he was just being rude and that good for you apparently means I don't give a damn. (I sometimes have a hard time picking up on social cues, which is common in people on the spectrum, but I want to talk about that more another time)

    As a kid, I would hear my parents say the same thing. “Oh she's just living in her own world”, “Stop sitting there like a stump on a log” whenever I'm just sitting on the couch staring into space or processing my thoughts, I'll hear my mom say “there she goes again back into her own world”, right when I zone out for a second to disconnect and recharge myself so that I can continue hanging out with my friends or family. I think she can see it in my eyes and face because that is where I feel it the most. I feel my face relax and my eyes dilate.

    I don't think a lot of people realize how much goes through my brain. Sometimes it feels like static rushing through my brain at the speed of light and I have to slow it down into actual thought. There are times when my thoughts are so loud I feel like it screams at me, and it becomes overwhelming. I have to zone out just to process everything that goes through my brain. I tried to keep a journal but had trouble figuring out what to write about and also couldn't figure out how to write it down. My thoughts were so fogged up, staticky, and fast it was difficult to write down.     

    When I was little I would always daydream to help process things. Doing this also provided me a place to mentally go to where things made sense. As I got older and become more adapting to the world through therapy and dietary changes, my daydreaming lessened, and changed to imagine having a casual conversation with various actors whenever I feel like I am stuck on something and don't know how to reach out to someone. Sometimes I go so deep into my thoughts that I start interacting with them in real life by simply moving my hands slightly. The same way others do when they have conversations with someone. I accidentally did this at work once. I was out on location in the middle of nowhere working on a film project with no urgent responsibilities to do at that moment except for stand and wait, (there is a lot of that in film, standing and waiting) at this point it's been a good nine hours and who knew how many were left, from exhaustion I subconsciously just went into my deep thoughts, started pacing and moving my hands. My boss caught me doing it and casually asked, “Lena, are you having a conversation with yourself?” I could tell he wasn't mad at me and was curious and slightly amused. So I just said, “Yeah sorry sometimes that happens.” He just slightly nodded and made sure not to let it happen. I didn't exactly teach myself or have someone suggest this to me, it's just something that I started to subconsciously do. But even that has lessened since I have been with my husband and started working on my writing.

    Now that I have been writing more and become more serious about my writing, I feel like I can channel my thoughts to something and give them a purpose and not just have them rush through my head randomly. With my husband, I can come home after a crappy day at work, where everything that happened makes no logical sense, and I can at least explain how I'm feeling without being laughed at. Or When he does laugh it's more with me than at me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Mirror

Change

My Dear Freind