Out with the old, In with the new!

Image
  I apologize for being away for a while. You know about that desired change I wrote about. Well, a lot has happened during the past few months. It all started in February when a best friend called me about a job opportunity as a day porter paying $24 an hour with a corporate office company. Instead of working a scattered schedule and fighting to get more hours, I now work full-time with full benefits and a steady schedule. All I do is make coffee for scheduled conferences and all the break rooms, along with keeping track of the supplies. I work Monday through Friday 7-4 and having that as part of my routine feels great. The people that I work with are great too. Everyone talks to me and not to me. I also have the freedom to work on whatever task I need to without people asking me what I am doing unless they are being social with me. No one is pestering me. Also, my boss is great and easy to talk to. I no longer feel uneasy whenever my boss calls upon me. When she does it's mainly

The Power of Acceptance

 

First of all, it's not easy for me to talk about autism. I feel vulnerable whenever I talk about it, and I never know how someone may react to it. Writing this blog, or my book even intimidates the hell out of me. It took me a long time to get comfortable in my own skin. It's not just learning that you have another disability up your butt, but the biggest thing is excepting it for yourself, and doing the research while dealing with discrimination, stereotypes, and overall ignorance.

It's kind of ironic since I lived with, and grew out of some health conditions that can become life-threatening, and yet when I get diagnosed with a social disorder is when people start telling me what I am incapable of doing such as graduating high school with a diploma or getting married. One thing that I have learned in life is that for whatever reason people love to make people feel like crap just because they most likely feel like crap themselves or they're just that closed-minded, and I have a feeling that I would have to face people like this regardless of my autism.

My point is that if you do not accept it and learn about it and yourself then you lose control of your life and give control to people that want to hurt you, and have power over you. You won't be able to live a full happy life.

Parents, I know I'm poking the bear right now, but every parent wants their kid to be perfect, healthy, and able. I know this from watching my parents raising me and my sister. It's clear that every parent wants this for their kids, and it can be heartbreaking when they get diagnosed with a social disability. It becomes easy to believe those who tell you what your kid is incapable of doing. Yes, it's true that your kid wont be able to do certain things but that is for you and your child to find out what that is, and how to work around it or with it. Besides, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses in general and It's just that when you are on the spectrum it's more noticeable. I for one am not great at math, it's my kryptonite, but I'm great at the arts, and have always been great at creating through arts and crafts, and stories.

Not long ago I saw a video of a girl at her graduation who is autistic with a speech impairment giving the valedictorian speech.

How amazing is that!


My point is you need to accept that your kid is different and what is best for them and teach them that they are different and how they are different so that they can learn for themselves how they can strive for the best life that they can have. I wouldn't have gotten far without my mother pushing me in the right direction. She was the one that made sure that I got out of special-ed and earned a high school diploma instead of a certificate of attendance. Because of her, I was able to go out on my own, earn a bachelor's degree, get married, and become a photographer, business owner, and writer.

Autism is on a spectrum, so there are many differences, and what is best for you and/or your kid won't be the same from person to person. Self-acceptance and research are probably the two most important and challenging steps you will have to face for yourself.


I am in the blue my sister is in the yellow. 
We both graduated with a bachelor's degree within days from one another. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Mirror

Change

My Dear Freind