Out with the old, In with the new!

Image
  I apologize for being away for a while. You know about that desired change I wrote about. Well, a lot has happened during the past few months. It all started in February when a best friend called me about a job opportunity as a day porter paying $24 an hour with a corporate office company. Instead of working a scattered schedule and fighting to get more hours, I now work full-time with full benefits and a steady schedule. All I do is make coffee for scheduled conferences and all the break rooms, along with keeping track of the supplies. I work Monday through Friday 7-4 and having that as part of my routine feels great. The people that I work with are great too. Everyone talks to me and not to me. I also have the freedom to work on whatever task I need to without people asking me what I am doing unless they are being social with me. No one is pestering me. Also, my boss is great and easy to talk to. I no longer feel uneasy whenever my boss calls upon me. When she does it's mainly

My Introduction!

Hi, my name is Lena, and welcome to “I'm Autistic! So What!”
In this blog, I will talk about the big elephant in the room that has been weighing on your shoulders, whether it's because you or someone in your family or friends are autistic. It's a huge can of worms that I'm just going to bust open and go through it hoping to help you understand it more. Right now you might think, what on earth does this woman know about autism? They diagnosed me with autism when I was 14 years old and I've been researching my condition ever since.
You're probably wondering why did you wait so long to find out? Well, I'd like to tell you about that another time.

To tell you the truth, I can not give you a step-by-step on how to treat or handle autism. There is simply no such thing, because autism lies on a spectrum, as it's different for everyone. So if you're looking for a step-by-step, then I respectfully as that you change your approach to learning about it. Even though I can give a simple definition of autism, witch it's a social disorder, it is still very complex. There's a lot that goes to it, such as different quirks, dietary needs, and other conditions that come with it. The ability to learn in a traditional class and test-taking varies. I had extended time on tests throughout my school career, from middle school through college. The ability to pick up a skill varies. Or even the ability to say hello and hug someone. These things are very and all of them have to do with autism.

Now I am going to do my best to provide you with not just information about autism, but also my experiences with being on the spectrum myself, and the things that have helped me on my path. Who knows, maybe you will find yourself on a similar path, but yet again there are no paths that are the same, so please do your research and find what best helps you.

I can picture you sitting there shaking your head thinking why me? Why did this happen? What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this? And I tried everything, but nothing works. Let me tell you this, it's difficult, but it's going to be ok. You did nothing wrong. Sometimes it just happens for no reason and sometimes it's genetic. Autism is a genetic disorder and a social disorder, which I will discuss a little more at another time.


It took me a while to get comfortable in my skin. Not only did I have to get to know myself, but I had to also get to know my condition. And it's not just that, when I was first diagnosed, people were quick to tell me what I was incapable of doing, which made things even more difficult. How on earth can you sit there and predetermine someone else's fate and abilities? That became my biggest pet peeve. Do not let anyone tell you what you are or cannot do. You have to determine that for yourself.

The journey was and still is long and challenging. I, a lot of times, felt alone. I wanted to scream and shout “Why me?” I wanted to cry and give up. But then I realized I am not alone. I still wonder why, but am less angry about it. There were days I cried, but I didn't give up. Giving up is the worst thing you can do.

Whether you or someone you love is on the spectrum. You might just be reading because of curiosity. Either way welcome and I hope to be of some help. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Mirror

Change

My Dear Freind